Football NSW sent 33 teams down to Canberra to represent NSW in the 30th National Futsal Championships. NSW as defending champions were looking to continue its dominance of recent years.
NSW continued its winning ways with 14 sides winning a National Title out of a possible 16 Finals contested. NSW did the double in 5 age groups with NSW Thunder playing NSW Lightning in the final.
Women’s Thunder won its fifth consecutive National Title with solid week of Futsal that led to NSW Thunder beating NSW Lighting in the Final thanks to a Natalie Spirovski first half goal.
The Highlight of finals day was the Men’s Final with NSW Thunder narrowly losing last year’s final to ACT Cobras, and with the chance to represent Australia in first ever AFC Futsal Club Championship to be held in Iran later in the year it was all on the line. NSW took an early lead against the ACT Cobras in the Final care of a Lachlan Wright effort that left the home side stunned. The Cobras came back into the game with mixed up in the NSW defence leading to the Cobras scoring into an empty net. The game was then turned on it head with NSW Thunder receiving two red cards to experienced Futsalroos Lachlan Wright and Simon Keith. After the send off the young NSW side were lead by the experience of Adrian Vizzari the side dug deep and forced the game into extra time. With the scores locked at 1-1 at the end of the first period of extra time and both sides sitting on 5 fouls it was always going to be an action packed ending. With 30seconds remaining NSW Thunder man of the mach Adrian Vizzari was fouled in a breakaway, Vizzari stepped up the 10 meter spot and sealed victory with a venomous drive to the keeper’s right giving him no chance. NSW were worthy winners and now have the bonus of representing Australia at the AFC Futsal Club Championship.
A Special mention to the Solomon Islands boys who played in the game of the tournament verse NSW Thunder in the semi final of the under 14 Boys competition. Thunder took the game 5-4 but Futsal was the winner for all who were there to witness this great game of Futsal.
Finals Day Results
- 11 Girls : NSW Thunder 3-1 winners over ACT Cobras
- 11 Boys : Victoria 9-4 winners over NSW Thunder
- 12 Girls : NSW Thunder 7-2 winners over NSW Lightning
- 12 Boys : NSW Thunder winners over Victoria. 3-3 Fulltime, NSW win on Penalties.
- 13 Girls : NSW Thunder 6-1 winners over ACT Cobras
- 13 Boys : Queensland 5-4 winners over Victoria
- 14 Girls : NSW Thunder 6-0 winner over ACT Cobras
- 14 Boys : NSW Thunder 3-1 winners over Victoria
- 15 Girls : NSW Lightning 2-1 winners over NSW Thunder
- 15 Boys : NSW Thunder 9-2 winners over Victoria
- 16 Girls : NSW Thunder 5-3 winners over NSW Lightning
- 16 Boys : NSW Thunder 6-2 winners over ACT Cobras
- Youth Women : NSW Lightning 2-0 winners over Southern NSW
- Youth Men : NSW Thunder 4-3 winners over NSW Lightning
- Open Women : NSW Thunder 1-0 winners over NSW Lightning
- Open Men : NSW Thunder 2-1 winners over ACT Cobras
- 11 Girls : Jordan McConnell (NSW Thunder)
- 12 Boys : Robert Perre (NSW Thunder)
- 12 Girls : Alysse Tasevski (NSW Thunder)
- 13 Girls : Vanish Kumar (NSW Thunder)
- 14 Girls : Doris Osman (NSW Thunder)
- 15 Boys : Marko Miljkovic (NSW Lightning)
- 16 Girls : Lani Honecker (NSW Lightning)
Grand Final MVP
- 11 Girls : Rhianna Pollicina (NSW Thunder)
- 12 Boys : Aaron Calver (NSW Thunder)
- 12 Girls : Zoe Gomez (NSW Thunder)
- 13 Girls : Elizabeth Ralston (NSW Thunder)
- 14 Boys : Daniel Vellonio (NSW Thunder)
- 14 Girls : Doris Osman (NSW Thunder)
- 15 Boys : Bruno Pivato (NSW Thunder)
- 15 Girls : Jasmine Kasic (NSW Lightning)
- 16 Boys : Shervin Adeli (NSW Thunder)
- 16 Girls : Natasha LoGiudice (NSW Thunder)
- Youth Men : Daniel Fogarty (NSW Thunder)
- Youth Women : Lauren Vosta (NSW Lightning)
- Open Men : Adrian Vizzari (NSW Thunder)
- Open Women : Natalie Spirovski (NSW Thunder)
Golden Boot Winners (Only available for Youth and Seniors)
- Open Women : Hayley Buckingham (NSW Thunder)
Football NSW would also like to thank all Players, Parents, Coaches and Officials who went to Canberra and we are looking forward to defending our title in 2010.