Rovers Pounce on Quake’s Concentration Issues (NSW)

Football NSW

Danny Martinez scored twice for Quake.

Enfield Rovers may have secured all three points on Saturday night as they defeated Quake 6-5 in the McDonald’s Futsal Premier League; however the script could have been very different had Quake not let their guard down as blatantly as they did.

Having started the match with speed, skill and down right class, Quake seemed untouchable as Enfield Rovers were made to chase shadows in the first half. However, the momentum would be short lived as the visitors seemed to fall asleep early in the second period allowing the hosts to score three goals in three minutes. It was a lack of concentration which Quake Head Coach, Ralph Capasso, dubbed as something “we simply can’t afford to do.”

The match was played at lightening speed with both teams hungry for the points from the outset. While Quake were first to test out goalkeeper, John Maniscalco early on, it was the Rovers who got on the score sheet first thanks to a close range tap in from Simpson.

Wounded, Quake searched for the equalizer and were rewarded on the 14th minute through Danny Martinez who turned his defender beautifully before firing a rocket into the top corner.

Momentum high, Quake put their foot on the accelerator and played some of the best Futsal this season. Their fast pace, accurate passing and skills was complemented by two spectacular goals before the break. Martinez wriggled between two Enfield defenders and coolly finished before Mark Symington finished a eight pass combination play with a low hard shot into the bottom right to make it 3-1 going into the break.

The second half however saw a Quake outfit that were but a shadow of their first half display. Enfield looked structured, organized and dangerous and after Quake fell asleep, the Rover’s pounced.

First to lead the charge was none other than J Foti who finished from close range. A minute later Simpson made it 3-3 as he turned the Quake defence inside out with some quick step overs before firing low. Stunned by what had just happened, Quake went down 4-3 thanks to a quick turn and shot by Foti from a long and accurate Maniscalo throw.

However, it seemed as though Enfield were just warming up, as Dimento breezed past two Quake defenders before finding the net followed by a spectacular team goal finished off by Wright.

A few younger Quake players were thrown in to try and solve the problem and the visitors were rewarded shortly after as they scored two quick goals. The first of the double came from Ian McAndrew who reacted quickest from close range while captain, Dean Lockhart squeezed a well placed shot into the bottom left from long range.

With the hosts looking to seal a hard fought victory, it was the official’s who played a key role in the final minutes as claims for, what looked like a clear penalty fell on death ears.

Location: Bankstown Basketball Stadium

Enfield Rovers: Maniscalco, J Foti, Simpson, Wright, Dimento, R Foti, Col, Petralito, Dahdah

Scorers: Foti (two), Simpson (two) Wright, Dimento,

Campbeltown Quake: Azzorpardi, Downie, McAndrew, Lockhart, Symington, Belford, Jakani, McGowan, Martinez, Keith, Riley

Scorers: McAndrew, Lockhart, Symington, Martinez (two)

Yellow Cards: McAndrew (Quake)

Inner West Youth Cruise to Victory

Inner West All Stars may not have been without their star players; however the youth injection proved too much for Western Raiders as the youngsters won 3-0. In a match where Inner West had most of the control, Pat Pace, Adrian Vizzari and Robbie Maiorana proved the highlight while Kane Wright did his part for the Raiders. Cruising comfortably into the break two goals up, the match was an easy one for the All Stars despite the Windsor heat.

Ekinci Inspires Vipers to Victory

Despite returning from injury, Yavuz Ekinci was unstoppable as he netted four, including the game winner, to beat a passionate Benfica outfit 5-4. Having started strong and being 2-0 up early on, it seemed like Viper’s had an easy match on their hands, however after Benfica pegged one back, the game could have gone either way. With three minutes to go and locked at 4-4, Ekinci took matters into his own hands, scoring a magnificent solo goal to help the hosts dig themselves out of their five game losing streak.

Warriors Take Charge Despite Heat

The heat was no hurdle for the Warriors as they gave the Eagles a Futsal lesson running away with a 7-2 victory. Despite having a full strength outfit, Sydney City never really got into the game as players seemed tired and unmotivated. Although they did create some opportunities, the Warrior defence held strong and attacked with speed as the Eagles held back and applied a weak defence at times.

Leave a Reply