FFA Nationals 2013: Open Women’s Day 2 Reports

Capital Football

Logo - FFA FutsalThe ACT and NSW Metro emerged as the big winners on Day 2 of the 2013 FFA National Futsal Championships in Canberra as they took four points each from their two matches including a 1-1 draw in the game between the pair. The traditional women’s powerhouses look a good bet to be contesting the Grand Final on Friday after a quality day’s play.

Round 2

Victoria 3 (Stephanie Tanti 22’, Krystal McCluskey 23’, Tina Benoit 34’) NSW Regional 1 (Ashley Francis 35’)

Victoria bounced back from a Round 1 defeat by seeing off the challenge of NSW Regional 3-1 in an excellent match to kick off Day 2 of the Open Women’s competition. With both teams having been defeated in their opening round match on Day One this fixture took on extra significance as Victoria and NSW Regional went looking for their first point of the championships. An energetic and tight match was the result with neither team able to assert their authority on the opening twenty minutes with the respective goalkeepers rarely troubled early on. The combination between Stephanie Tanti and Emily Hulbert seemed most likely to pay dividends for Victoria and so it proved two minutes into the second half as Hulbert fed a sweet pass to Tanti who slotted into the far corner past Sophie Harper in the NSW Regional goal. Barely sixty seconds later the lead was doubled as a neat passing move culminated in Krystal McCluskey finding room to bang in the second. NSW Regional tried their best to get back into the contest with Tara Murphy pulling the strings from the back but Victoria held firm and added a third via a venomous left foot shot from Tina Benoit with six minutes remaining. NSW Regional though did have the consolation of a finely taken goal from Ashley Francis but Victoria deserved the points.

NSW Metro 1 (Filiz Urkanci 8’) ACT 1 (Erin Clout 25’)

Early table leaders NSW Metro and ACT fought out a 1-1 draw in their first match on Day 2 in what was a high intensity match in which parity was probably a fair outcome. Matches between the two old foes are always enthralling affairs and this re-match from the 2012 Grand Final was no exception. NSW Metro struck first blood in only the 8th minute. Becky Roche was penalised for a foul mid-court and Metro took the free-kick quickly, catching the ACT defence napping, and allowing Filiz Urkanci to turn and hit a shot past Luisa Marzotto in the ACT goal. The rest of the half was played at a frantic pace but there was no further addition to the score. The ACT started the second half intent on finding an equaliser and they did just that five minutes into the second period. A superb move saw Erin Clout play a one-two with Becky Roche and clip a delightful finish over the advancing NSW Metro ‘keeper to make it all-square. Chances came and went for both teams following the leveller but neither side was able to make the critical breakthrough. Hayley Buckingham and Sarah Crittenden had strong matches for the ACT whilst Doris Osman was, once again, prominent for the Blues.

Round 3

Victoria 0 NSW Metro 3 (Zoeie Redman 7’, Sarah Seamaan 13’, Renee Tomkins 18’)

NSW Metro remained unbeaten after three rounds of the FFA National Futsal Championships after recording a 3-0 win over Victoria in the first of the afternoon matches in the Open Women’s competition. After a fairly even start it was NSW Metro who finally took the initiative and created the first goal of the game. The Blue-clad NSW players swarmed onto the offensive and the ball was worked to Zoeie Redman whose eye for goal in these championships continued as she unleashed a low shot that beat Candace Sallama to her left to register her third goal of the campaign. Victoria recovered well from this setback but was given a tough task as the Metro went 2-0 up six minutes later, Sarah Seamaan slicing through the Victorian defence like a hot knife through butter to batter a shot past Sallama. Renee Tomkins, who has played a bit-part role in the championships to date, added a third just before half-time in a brief cameo as NSW Metro seized total control. Metro eased off a little in the second half as Victoria upped the tempo in the knowledge that they needed to find a way back into the match if they were to keep their Grand Final hopes alive, however they were unable to break through a rock solid Metro backline and the defending champions marched on and look good for a place in the showdown on Friday.

ACT 7 (Becky Roche 2’, 13’, Sarah Crittenden 3’, Rachel Crittenden 7’, 20’, Sabrina Spinapolice 29’, Hayley Buckingham 37’) NSW Regional 1 (Ashley Francis 8’)

The ACT roared to the top of the Open Women’s Championship table at the end of Day 2 with a thumping 7-1 hammering of a plucky NSW Regional team at the AIS Training Hall. The hosts were in buccaneering form and had the match sewn up by the break, leading 5-1 with a display of pace, power and panache that was too much for their younger opponents to handle. ACT was 2-0 to the good inside three minutes as Becky Roche and Sarah Crittenden found a way past the static NSW Regional defence to give their team the perfect beginning. When Rachel Crittenden bagged the first of her personal double in the 7th minute a rout looked on the cards. However, NSW Regional hit back strongly and Ashley Francis netted her second of the competition to reduce the arrears. This proved a minor setback to ACT though who went 4-1 up as Roche struck a second and completed a superb opening half as Rachel Crittenden netted her fourth of the tournament on the stroke of the half time whistle. There was little respite for an overworked Regional defence in the second stanza as Sabrina Spinapolice got the goal her endeavour deserved before the scoring was rounded off late on by Hayley Buckingham.





3 Becky ROCHE (ACT), Zoeie REDMAN (NSW Metro)

2 Ashley FRANCIS (NSW Regional), Stephanie TANTI (Victoria)


Wednesday 9th January 2013

Round 4

Victoria v ACT

NSW Metro v NSW Regional

Round 5

NSW Regional v Victoria

ACT v NSW Metro


Leave a Reply