NSW Futsal Premier League Round 2 Review


Logo - Football NSW Futsal (PNG)Round two of the 2013-14 Futsal NSW Premier League produced three outstanding games and showed that this summer’s season is sure to throw up some curly results.

While Dural and Inner West had their game postponed with eight players missing on Futsalroos duty in Thailand, Enfield Rovers pipped Mountain Majik 5-4, Mascot Vipers and Boomerangs fought out an epic 5-5 draw, and Phoenix stunned Campbelltown Quake 4-2 at Minto.

Round 2

Enfield Rovers 4 Mountain Majik 3 (Grant Cornwell, Corey Bizco, Jamie Dib)

Campbelltown Quake 2 (Jordan Mundell, Danny Martinez) Phoenix Futsal Club 4 (Chad Cowley x2, Andrea Canini, Scott Dingwall)

Mascot Vipers 5 Boomerangs 5

Rovers edge Majik

Enfield Rovers and Mountain Majik fought out a battle royale at the Morris Iemma Indoor Sports Centre on Saturday night, the home side emerging 5-4 victors.

Grant Cornwell fired Majik into a fifth minute lead only for Enfield to level the scores five minutes later, Jamie Dib sending the visitors ahead again before Rovers ensured the game was deadlocked at halftime.

The two sides traded goals early in the second half and the game was evenly poised when Dib picked up his second yellow card to leave Majik a player short for the final four minutes, Enfield taking full advantage to find a late winning goal that earned them maximum points.

Enfield coach Lachlan Wright was pleased to chalk up the first win, particularly with regular targets Shervin Adeli (Futsalroos) and Rob Foti (suspended) both missing from action.

“The boys did pretty well against a very strong Majik side; they’re fit, have good touches and were very difficult to play against,” he said.

“We have to work on our finishing as we missed some easy chances and we thought it might catch us out, but we managed to sneak through in the end.

“Sometimes early on you just want to grab the points so you’re not chasing your tail for the rest of the season, so it was a good win to get.”

Majik coach Fabio Macerola was a little frustrated to not get anything from a contest they were well in.

“We played really well and controlled a lot of the game… and they scored some freaky goals,” he said.

“It’s not a game we should’ve lost but that’s the only disappointing thing. The guys are fine about it as that’s the way we’ve decided to approach this season – we’re just going to have a red hot go against every team we play.”

Phoenix rumble Quake

Phoenix rose from the ashes to defeat Campbelltown Quake 4-2 at Minto Indoor Sports Stadium on Saturday night.

The visitors led 1-0 at the break thanks to a Chad Cowley goal and extended their lead further in the second term behind Andrea Canini and Scott Dingwall strikes.

Campbelltown clawed their way off the canvas and a fifth man press resulted in Jordan Mundell and Danny Martinez goals that closed the margin to 3-2, but a late 10m penalty converted by Cowley sealed the win for Phoenix.

Coach Chris Cowley was thrilled for his side after turning around a first-up loss to Mascot last week.

“It was a good win and a big confidence boost for the boys,” he said. “I said last week that it was about doing all the simple things right and play to our strengths, and that’s exactly what they did and we earned the win.”

Campbelltown manager Carlos Martinez felt Quake were well in the hunt but missed their big guns Dean Lockhart (Futsalroos) and Mark Symington (injured) to finish off the job.

“We sweated hard but not enough,” he said. “We played well enough and created opportunities, we just couldn’t convert them.”

“Not taking anything away from Phoenix, they did a great job, but Futsal is pretty simple: convert your chances with the ball and defend hard without it, and we didn’t execute either well enough to win.

“The first win isn’t far away. The spirit is certainly there.”

Mascot, Boomerangs draw 

Mascot Vipers and Boomerangs fought out a thrilling 5-5 draw at All Sorts Indoor Sports Centre on Saturday night.

The exciting yet bizarre game kept everyone on the edge of their seat until the very end as the two evenly matched teams traded blows and momentum swings.

Boomerangs stormed out of the blocks and grabbed a 3-0 lead inside 12 minutes to leave Mascot reeling… or so the visitors thought, Vipers smashing in five quickfire goals to round out the half leading 5-3.

The second half was just as action packed as Boomerangs clawed back the deficit one goal at a time to have the entertaining affair poised at 5-5, but try as they did neither side could find the matchwinner and the points were deservedly shared.

Mascot club president Zvi Ben David dipped his hat to both sides following an enthralling contest.

“It was one of the best matches you’ve ever seen; anyone could’ve won it. It was end to end stuff but played in really good spirit; everyone loved it and everyone had tried their best – it was a great Futsal game,” he said.

“Osmar De Barros played out of his skin for us, magnificent, and we needed this kind of performance while we’re still a bit short on senior players, so we’re looking good for when we actually get a full squad together; but Boomerangs were also very good without their goalkeeper Angelo Konstantinou (Futsalroos).”

Next week’s games 

Round three of the NSW Futsal Premier League pits Boomerangs against Mountain Majik at the AIS Training Halls, Campbelltown Quake welcomes Enfield Rovers to Minto Indoor Sports Stadium, Dural Warriors host Mascot Vipers at Dural Sport & Leisure Centre, while Inner West Magic and Phoenix Futsal Club meet at the Morris Iemma Indoor Sports Centre. Check the footballnsw.com.au for Saturday’s kickoff details.

Leave a Reply