FFA Nationals – Men Day Three

Capital Football Media Release

FFA-NationalsQueensland Metro 1 (Brendan Cobb 36’) South Australia 4 (Jake La Scala 3’, 20’, Andres Obieglo 33’, Aaron Noble 39’)

South Australia gave themselves a superb chance of making the semi-finals by defeating Queensland Metro 4-1 in the AIS Training Hall. With neither side having picked up a point in their opening two matches the likelihood was that the winner of this game would advance to the semi-finals and, as such, the game mirrored the importance of the occasion. South Australia began with a bang and peppered the Queensland goal with a number of shots, deservedly taking the lead in only the 3rd minute when Captain Jake La Scala reacted brilliantly to back-heel a volley into the net. Shortly after Cristiano hammered a shot on the turn against the bar as SA turned the screw. Brendan Prickett in the Queensland goal had to be at this best to make a number of outstanding saves but even he was powerless to prevent La Scala doubling the lead on the cusp of half-time. Queensland, needing at least two goals to have a hope of redemption started the second half well, Caleb Ulrich stretching Simon Ortlepp into a top corner save and Philip Gamatia going close but South Australia hit them on the break and Andres Obielgo poked home from inside the area for 3-0. Forced to chase the game, Queensland pushed forward and pulled one back through Brendan Cobb with four minutes to go and Ulrich hit the post but it was too late and Aaron Noble sealed their fate as time ran out.

Victoria 4 (Maxim Avram 7’, Mark Symington (og) 17’, Fernando De Moraes (pen) 29’, Rueben Langerak 40’) NSW Thunder 4 (Jordan Mundell 4’, 33’, Jarrod Basger 6’, Jordan Guerrero 18’)

NSW Thunder ensured they would end the round-robin competition on top of the ladder by securing the point they needed ahead of their bye round with an exceptional 4-4 draw against Victoria. Thunder set the tone, racing into a two-goal lead early on. Jarrod Basger created the first with a wonderful pass that Jordan Mundell gleefully pumped past Christos Apostalakis in the Victorian goal and within seconds the Thunder was two-up, Basger ending a fast-paced move with a tap-in on the far post. But Victoria hit back in stunning fashion. Maxim Avram slotted in his second of the tournament in the 7th minute before Mark Symington turned the ball into his own net in a desperate attempt to clear his lines three minutes before the interval to bring Victoria level. The Thunder weren’t daunted however and immediately raced up the other end where Jordan Guerrero chased down a clearance and saw the ball bounce off him and into the net to lead at the break. In a topsy-turvy match Victoria levelled nine minutes after the resumption from the penalty spot. Fernando intercepted a loose pass and ghosted through and round Andrew Haim in the Thunder goal. His shot was handled on the line and from the resultant spot-kick the Fernando made no mistake. The scoring wasn’t done and Mundell bagged his second for Thunder before Rueben Langerak ended an eight goal thriller.




5 Jordan GUERRERO, Jordan MUNDELL (NSW Thunder)

4 Jarrod BASGER (NSW Thunder)

3 Robbie CATTANACH, Trent FLANIGAN (ACT), Sam PERRE (NSW Thunder)

2 Daniel BENNETT, Michael REEVE, Callum SMITH (ACT), Clayton MUSUMECI (NSW Thunder), Jake LA SCALA (South Australia), Maxim AVRAM (Victoria), own GOAL

1 Ryan KEIR, Angelo KONSTANTINOU (ACT), Jonathan KONTALIS, Lev LEWIS, Mark SYMINGTON (NSW Thunder), Brendan COBB, Brian QUAN (Queensland), Aaron NOBLE, Andres OBIELGO (South Australia), Jason BARRIENTOS, Miguel BARRIGOS, FERNANDO De Moraes, Reuben LANGERAK, Konrad MACHOY (Victoria)

Leave a Reply